Sailing competitions were held on the Noosa River for at least several years prior to the first official meeting of the Noosa Yacht club in 1958, near the corner of Albert Street and Gympie Terrace. A clubhouse was built on the riverbank in 1961, opened by Noosa Shire Council Chairman, Stanley Adams, and the Commodore, Walter Hayter.

Edit Of Yachtclub Reset (from Pierce)

Early meeting of the Noosa Yacht Club, circa 1958. Image courtesy of George Pearce

Rowing was also increasingly popular and in 1981 the Noosa Rowing Club was formed. Its members were looking for permanent storage and a clubhouse to replace their insufficient facilities at Munna Point. The two clubs joined together in 1984 and moved to the current site at the western end of Gympie Terrace in 1994.


Design sketch of the clubhouse to be built, 1990s

The yachters hold afternoon competitions every second Saturday afternoon all year long, as well as youth and seniors programmes. They compete annually in the major Queensland sailing races such as Bay to Bay, Surf to City, Pearl Challenge, Sail Mooloolaba and the St Helena Cup.

Yacht Club

Noosa Yacht Club, 1980s

The rowers practice singles and smaller crews every Saturday morning. On the last Sunday of each month they hold a ‘Big Boat Breakfast’ and take out the large octuple sculls.

Yacht Club Artillery David Keep

Noosa Yacht Club and the Lions Park playground, 1980s. Image courtesy of David Keep