Timeline of Noosa: 1950-1999 Timeline of Noosa: 1950-1999

1950

Sand mining threatened Noosa Main Beach. Australasian Oil Explorations Limited had obtained a permit to mine a 30 acre (12 hectare) area of the south beach of Laguna Bay at Noosa Heads. The permit did not include mining of a sandbar at the river mouth. A few years later Noosaville's Massoud brothers applied for a ten-year lease to mine an area of 1,320 by 55 yards (1207 x 50 metres). This area encompassed almost the whole of Noosa's main surfing beach. Persistent and public lobbying from local associations as well as a petition from residents thwarted the grant of the lease.

1950

Land reclamation along the Noosa Inlet started. The Noosa Shire Council had obtained permission from the Land Administration Board to reclaim part of the tidal inlet of the Noosa River at the corner of Hastings Street and Tewantin Road. By the middle of the 1970s all land owners along the inlet side of Hastings Street had followed suit.

1954

In the aftermath of a severe cyclone that hit the area a group of Hastings Street foreshore property owners built the first protective wall on Noosa Beach. It was not only conceived to prevent erosion and but also to hinder sea water from washing into their gardens.

1958

T.M. Burke Pty Ltd leased 530 acres of Crown Land in exchange for £135,000 and a promise to execute further road works.

Hastings Street was surveyed and sealed.

Pomona railway porter Bruce Samuels climbed and descended Mt Cooroora running to settle a pub bet. It took him 40 minutes, a feat now annually commemorated in the highly successful King of the Mountain festival.

1963

In May Hastings Street received its first banking agency; an offshoot to the Tewantin Branch of the Bank of New South Wales.

1965

In October the Noosa Six Mile Dam (later renamed Lake Macdonald) near Cooroy was officially opened. It provides reticulated water to the towns of Noosa Shire.

1966

The sewerage network started operating in Noosa Heads.

1968-69

A rock wall was erected on Noosa Main Beach.

1969

The construction of new concrete bridges over Lake Doonella and Weyba Creek began.

Efforts were made to stabilise the sandy slope of Noosa Hill.

1970

Members of the Planned Progress group, led by Mrs Marjorie Harrold, battled at court to enjoin high-rise construction in Hastings Street.

 

1971

The State Government development lease for the area now known as Noosa Sound commenced on 1st January. It had been initiated by Cr. Edgar Bennett who mooted already in 1946 the canal development of Hay's and other islands in the Noosa Estuary. Engineering plans for the first 134 lots were ready in July 1972. Dredging started a month after that. Next a concrete retaining wall was constructed around the island followed by a bridge to the Spit near Hastings Street. The development was officially opened in December 1973. In 1974 the bridge across Weyba Creek to Munna Point was built.

 

1972

In its Town Plan the Noosa Sire Council decreed high-rise development in Hastings Street to be inappropriate. In doing so the Council reversed a previous decision which had been challenged by the public.

Public protest also thwarted Sandmining in the area between Sunshine Beach and Peregian Beach.

The paddle-steamer Adonis commenced service at the Dath Henderson Wharf.

1973

153 hectares of non-waterfront land with a natural drainage outlet to the Noosa River at Hilton Terrace was sold for residential development.

1977

In October approval in principle was given to the canal development known today as Noosa Waters. The approval was finally gazetted in 1989.

1978

The newly extended Noosa Spit was declared open in December. In the frame of this development the river mouth had been shifted from its original position at the end of Noosa Woods several hundred metres to the west. The objective of this enterprise was to protect the area from cyclone damage. The works were financed jointly by the Noosa Council, the State Government and the developer of Noosa Sound.

1980

On 1st December the Noosa Shire Council moved into new premises at Pelican Street, Tewantin, which used to be a boarding house known as Riverview/Elanda House/San Elanda. The former Chamber building at Pomona became in 1985 the headquarters of the Cooroora Historical Society, Inc. and houses today the Noosa Shire Museum.

1982

The First Noosa Triathlon was staged at Noosa Heads.

 

1988

Noosa's first Strategic Plan was gazetted. This Plan was instrumental in blocking the moves of the Leisuremark development group to build a mega resort on Noosa's North Shore.

1990

The Noosa Council gazetted a Shire-wide ban on buildings in excess of four storeys.

The Botanic Gardens at Cooroy were officially opened after three years of work by local volunteers to transform a former unofficial rubbish dump beside Lake Macdonald.

The State Government agreed to Council's plan to transform the camping and caravan park at Noosa Woods as well as the balance of Noosa Spit into a public recreational precinct. The camping and caravan park was closed down. Greening Noosa volunteer teams as well as members of the public joined in a massive and highly successful planting effort. Today the area is once again covered by rain forest encompassing picnic areas.

Urban wheelie bin refuse collection services were introduced.

1991

The Historic Cooroy Butter Factory building was purchased by the Noosa Council for community use.

1992

Park Road at Noosa Heads collapsed during massive February downpours. It had to be closed to vehicular traffic for the necessary repairs.

1993

The Council opened its Child Care Centre in Moorindil Street, Tewantin, as well as its nine-hectare community complex at Wallace Park, Noosaville. This complex now comprises the Library, the Noosa Leisure Centre, the Respite Centre, the Wallace House arts and crafts centre, the Noosa Parks Association Environment Centre, a specially landscaped aboriginal heritage area, Tewantin-Noosa Meals on Wheels, the Noosa Bridge Club and an Endeavour Foundation training centre.

Recycling bins were added to the urban wheelie bin refuse collection service.

1994

The Cooroy Butter Factory was refurbished for use as a community arts centre.

A timber footbridge mini-replica of the Old Weyba Bridge over Weyba Creek was opened to serve cyclists, pedestrians and anglers.

 

1995

The Council's Development Control Plan was gazetted. It was conceived to protect the environmentally sensitive high dune area of the Marcus Shores from development by the T.M. Burke group. The area has since been added to the National Park.

The Council purchased a 3.3 hectare site in Grant Street, Noosa Junction for $3.375 million in order to set up parking and community facilities. On part of the site in 2005 the construction of a Youth & Community Centre began.

The Noosa District Community Radio Association, Inc. commenced broadcasting.

1996

Water meters were introduced. The objective was to control the consumption of town water by charging money for it.

The Police beat shopfront building opened on the corner of Noosa Drive and Hastings Street.

1997

The Coastal Sewage Collection and Treatment Plant was commissioned. The $52 million project was undertaken by Australian Water Services on a 25-year design, build and operate concession and completed ahead of schedule.

The Noosa Council gazetted a Strategic Plan to guide development over the next seven to ten years. According to this plan a resident population upper limit of 56,600 (more recently revised to 61,100) was envisaged.

1998

The eroded foreshores of Noosa Spit were replenished by dredging sand from the Noosa Inlet. The operation was interrupted by the occurrence of Cyclone Yali.

1999

Premier Peter Beattie opened the $3.6 million Noosa Aquatic Centre at Girraween Court, Sunshine Beach.

A new Hospital opened at Noosaville.

Garden sprinkling restrictions were lifted as a consequence of the introduction of water meters in 1996 and subsequent assessments of consumption patterns.

The Council purchased the 500 environmentally prized hectares on the Noosa North Shore for $3 million. The previous owner, Leisuremark, had insisted to built there 3,400 units, a jet airport, a bridge to Noosa Heads, a golf course and a lake system. The acquisition of the land by the Council followed 10 years of legal battle over these development schemes.